Friday, February 20, 2009

Transparency- A Mother's Rope to Sanity

Transparency- this is not an easy task for women, but mothers have discovered that it is the rope by which we hang onto our sanity. Before we have children, we can afford to fake it because when you are centered on yourself, faking it pays off. However, when our existence becomes entirely about another person and that person, small as they may be, does not cooperate with our faking it, we must know that we are not alone. I need to know that my child is not the only one who refuses to say please and thank you no matter how many times I have emphasized its importance. I need to know that my child is not the only one who bites every member of his family and then some. I need to know that I am not the only mother who cries every time a teacher discusses a problem or weakness with my child. This is why mothers must choose to lay our weaknesses and failings at one another's feet. So we know we are not alone.
I have a hard time around new mothers sometimes because I  feel like they are faking it because they are still telling themselves that they can do it better than the rest of us (like they had thought all along). I want to say, "Come on, tell me how you feel like crap, you don't know what in the heck you are doing, and you feel like the worst mother in the world." But then I second guess myself and think, "Maybe they really do have it together." So I keep my mouth shut. But, what if that mom needed a little truth and I didn't give her a rope to sanity?
So here, in this blog, I will be truthful about my journey of parenting, my weaknesses and failings and my triumphs. Because yes, there are triumphs too! 
Mamas- we are so fortunate to have these little people who take our eyes off of ourselves because I know if my focus had stayed on me, I would have really been sick of myself by now. Think of the gift they have given us- they have taught us to be real, authentic, transparent.  

1 comment:

a new beginning said...

Beautifully written by my beautiful friend. I'm excited to keep reading! You are gifted, Mama :) Love you