Thursday, February 17, 2011

How to Cook a Frozen Lobster Tail

When I was little, I loved it when Dad would take me to Sizzler. 
It meant I could order Lobster. 

Our boys are big seafood lovers, but I have never let them order lobster because it would cost us WAY too much. 

For Valentine's Day, I picked them up to school and headed to Safeway. I let them help plan our special dinner. They wanted baked potatoes, a French Baguette, no veggies (they lost on that one) and lobster. 
Luckily, the frozen lobster tails were on sale. 

Photobucket

Isn't he funny? 

Frozen lobster tails don't go screaming into a boiling pot of hot water like live whole ones.



Photobucket


First, you must be certain they are thawed completely or the texture will be chewy.
Do this by putting them in a bowl of cold water.

Photobucket


Once thawed, take kitchen shears and cut down the sides as close to the edge as possible.
Then pull up and remove the membrane.

Photobucket


Be sure to cut along that back edge and remove it completely.

Then, melt a cube of butter and add a squeeze of lemon and paprika.
You can clarify your butter if you want to be like the restaurants, but I'm lazy and didn't clarify mine. 
It was still good.

Photobucket


At this point, I asked the boys to set the table; to make a centerpiece.

Photobucket

They gathered a bunch of candles and lit them. Oh, you cute boys.
See the bowls upside down in the background. 
What are the bowls for boys?
Dessert.
They are always thinking ahead. 

Because I was watching them, I missed out on photos of a few steps, but I know you will be okay. 

After removing the membrane I don't like that word take heavy foil and place the tail in the middle. Drizzle some of the butter mixture over the tail and then seal the tail tight in the foil.
Place all of the wrapped lobster on a baking sheet and place in a oven at 450 degrees.

After 20 minutes for a five ounce, they come out looking like this.



Photobucket

I gave each a ramekin with the butter mixture for dipping.


Photobucket


And these were some very happy boys.

Photobucket


Saying- This is the best dinner ever. I want this for my birthday dinner. 

Cooking times in 450 degree oven wrapped in foil-

2 oz.- 12 minutes
4 oz- 18 minutes
6 oz- 22 minutes
8 oz- 26 minutes
12 oz- 30 minutes



4 comments:

Erin MacPherson said...

Oh my gosh!! Those look sooo good. I admit: I've never even considered making my kids lobster but I might now. They love shrimp and crab so I'm sure they'd LOVE it.

Unknown said...

Thank you so much! I had no idea what would be the best way to do this. Your method is sooo easy!

Gwen T said...

Looks absolutely wonderful for a special night - my seafood-loving hubby would love this! :)

Btw, I found you through a comment on Nathan Bransford's blog, but I see we have a lot more in common than just a love for writing - including a big family!

Robin said...

YUM! Will you be my mommy??