Thursday, September 24, 2009

THE PLAN

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."
Jeremiah 29:11

This is one of my favorite verses.
I like plans.
I like knowing what is coming.
I like knowledge and details.
I like that God knows the plans that he has for me.
I love that they are to give me hope and a future.
I love that it is to prosper me and not harm me.
Those are good plans and I like that HE knows what they are.
I like that it isn't at random.
I love that He loves me this much.

But sometimes, I wish the verse went more like this...


"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not harm you, plans to give you hope and a future and these are all of the details of that future... this is how it will all go down."

And then there would be a document with paragraphs and details and bullet points and precise instructions. Wouldn't that be so much easier?

But, if I knew what was coming, then I would probably worry about how to handle what is coming because I wouldn't have gone through the process of "today's thing" to prepare me for the next "thing" because I would just skip ahead thinking, "well, I already know how this turns out." The growth of my character would be stifled and I would be bored.

So, I guess maybe I don't need to know THE PLAN.

We can just keep that verse the way it was written.
Aren't you relieved?

Maybe, just maybe, God knows what he is doing after all.


12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your words make me think and it would be nice to know his plan for us but I too would not like to know the next journey. So I will continue being the mommy to my boys, wife, friend and enspiring photography.

Foursons said...

Very well said. But at the same time I'd still like to know! I am so bad about wanting to control. This is something I'm working on though. ;)

Lisa Anne said...

Love it. I like knowing my plans too. I'm so scatter brained though, it's a must for me to plan out my weeks. Shoot I even have my next 5 posts already written and schedule to post.

Helen McGinn said...

Oh so true. I'm a spontaneous type of gal but I do like my lists. We're all enigmas really, aren't we? *L*

Love the photo below; what a lovely wee boy you have and I love the photoshop changes.

Kasey said...

I'm the type of girl who likes to know the plan...
i'm a planner....
xo

Farmgirl Paints said...

I'm right there with ya. I could use a blueprint right about now:)

Sande said...

If He had told me that I would be the mother of ten children, I would have

RUN BABY RUN.

Fliterary said...

LOL on Sande's comment.

Love this post! I so wish when I woke in the morning that God would have my list of things that I needed to do and when I could play. God knows best. If I had known in advance some of the trials, I would never have wanted to go forward. God always knows best!

Melissa Maris said...

From one planner to another, I love this post.

Love & Maple Syrup said...

And we walk by faith...
Still wish we could see at least a few of the chapter headings of The Plan!

Lisa Howard said...

I totally agree! I keep asking, but He keeps not telling. And I'm always glad in the end because if I knew I might miss the lesson along the way.

mindyluwho said...

I like your ending! Sometimes I just want to skip the lesson and get to the good part!

You are a fun gal! I've been reading your blog for a while now and thoroughly enjoying it so I thought I'd better start commenting.